Fungus among us all year long
Mold and mildew are tiny fungi. They can live anywhere at any time of the year.1 So if you have persistent allergic symptoms that occur through several seasons, you might be allergic to mold.
There are thousands of types of molds, but not all of them cause allergy symptoms. The most common allergy-causing molds include Alternaria, Aspergillus, Cladosporium, and Penicillium.2
Places where mold grows
Molds thrive in many environments, both indoors and outdoors. Some thrive in dry, windy weather while others prefer damp, humid dwellings. Four primary things contribute to mold growth:2
Old or spoiled food
Mold allergy causes and symptoms
Once mold finds an acceptable host, it starts spreading through spores or seeds.
When the spores are disturbed, either by touch or air currents, they can spread rapidly. They flow around in the air — and cause allergic reactions. When you come into contact with mold spores, your immune system treats it as an allergen and releases allergic antibodies to fight it off.1
Typical allergic symptoms like sneezing, watery eyes, and runny nose are all ways your body rids itself of allergens.3
Tips to minimize mold exposure
It’s impossible to to avoid all allergens, but there are a few things you can do to avoid mold:1,4,5
When you’re inside
- Keep doors and windows shut
- Use dehumidifiers5
- Run an air conditioner or air filter with certified allergy and asthma filters
- Keep your home as clean as possible to minimize mold and mildew — especially in dark or damp areas like basements, bathrooms, and around sinks4 — and clean using a protective mask when needed
- Contact your insurance company or landlord and a professional service if you notice mold at your residence
When you’re outside
- Avoid outdoor activities early in the morning or late in the evening, when mold spore counts are highest4
- Wear a dust mask when cutting grass, digging around plants, picking up leaves, and disturbing other plants1
- Shower after being outdoors
Do not disturb mold unless you’re properly educated on mold removal — and read and follow directions for any mold and mildew cleaning products
Start taking medications as soon as you notice allergy symptoms
Speak to your doctor for more information on allergies
Telfast® helps relieve your allergies
Telfast® helps you live your best life by relieving many common allergy symptoms. If you experience sneezing, runny nose, itchy or watery eyes or an itchy nose and throat, nasal congestion, sinus congestion and pressure, or swelling of nasal passages, Telfast® has products that can help. Now you can live your greatness — everywhere.6
No matter which product you choose, you can feel good knowing Telfast® is the #1 allergist-recommended medicine brand for non-drowsy relief.*
4. Jonathan Corren, MD. Allergic rhinitis: Treating the adult, The Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, June 1, 2000
6. Telfast Gulf PIL – last revised November 2020
Get information about allergies and advice on relieving symptoms so you can live your greatness.
* Among OTC oral antihistamines.